Here comes another great heart-warming soup from me to you. With the help of Oh She Glows. This recipe was adapted from the Glowing Spicy Lentil Soup recipe that I thought was originally delicious but I thought could be souped up by adding some of my favorite foods (get it?? souped up?).
I’ll keep this post simple like the soup itself. You can make this soup on the weekend for meals throughout the week, or any time and freeze leftovers for days you don’t feel like cooking. It is a wonderfully aromatic and creamy soup that takes only about 30 minutes to make. I want to just keep making it back to back but think that it may be a sign of OCD 😉 Try this soup on the family and serve with toasted bread slathered in hummus or a baguette with melted cheese. So simple and so beautiful.
Wholesome Spicy Lentil Soup
1 Tbsp grapeseed oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 large garlic cloves, minced
4 oz white or cremini mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
1 red pepper, chopped
2 white potatoes, roughly chopped
2 tsp ground turmeric
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 15oz can diced tomatoes
1 15 oz can coconut milk (full fat will result in a creamier soup)
3/4 cup uncooked red lentils, rinsed and drained
3 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1 tsp sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
2 handfuls spinach
2 tsp lime juice
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Once hot add in the oil and 30 seconds later add the onion. Saute for a few minutes (around 4 min) and add the garlic, potatoes, and red pepper. Cook another 3 or 4 minutes.
- Stir in the turmeric, cumin, and cinnamon and cook another minute, until fragrant.
- Add in the lentils, tomatoes, coconut milk, and veggie broth. Stir to combine. Add 1/2 tsp salt and some ground pepper. Increase heat until the soup boils and then turn down to a simmer.
- Simmer for around 20 minutes uncovered, or until the lentils are cooked. Add in the spinach and stir until the spinach is wilted. Adjust seasoning and add more salt if needed.
- Before serving mix in the lime juice.